Saturday 14 April 2018

Spelling Bee Saturday: Jar of Hearts Block

Hello again and welcome to my third stop on the Spelling Bee Saturday! I am this Saturday's guest blogger for the mega Fat Quarter Shop and Lori Holt sew-along and this time, I've sewn up antoher picture block, 'the jar'.  The heart always makes me think of Christina Peri's Jar of Hearts song... 


This one is quite a busy block but I think I've just about got away with it; the aqua gives sufficient contrast.  
Here are the fabrics used, some are from a few years backs so I only have minimal details!
Background: Heather Ross Tiger Lily, Small Roses in Cream
Jar: Denyse Schmidt, DS Quilts Collection, Daisy Mae for Fabric Traditions (2011)
Lid: Alexander Henry
Heart: Various red scraps

I loved this block so I made a second, this time with a linen background:


Background: Robert Kaufman, Essex Linen
Jar: Riley Blake recipe print (2011)
Lid: Alexander Henry
Heart: Suzuko Koseki for Yuwa Button fabric, Cloud 9 Checks, Lecien Old New floral, and a sketch type print.

For all the blocks I make from this book,  I've used Lori's design boards to organise the block pieces, it stops me losing the little bits! They are quick to make and are a great use for cardboard and batting offcuts. Here's a jar block before construction begins...

My plan is to sew an 'I Love... style quilt using the Picture Day layout from the Spelling Bee book.  Here are my blocks so far,  I'm hoping to alternate the backing fabrics.  The Globe block was still having it's embroidery addition when I was photographing these. I've mixed in some of my Sew-Ichigo designs (lamp and radio) alongside Lori's blocks. These all have a finished size of 6" square.

If you've been following along and want to check other people's blocks for inspiration, the Instagram hashtags are:  #SpellingBeeSaturday and #fqsquiltalong
  • Links to all the Spelling Bee sew along blocks so far are here
  • My review of the Spelling Bee book is here where you'll also find links on where to buy the book.
SaveSaveSaveSave

3 comments:

  1. Love your jar blocks! The added heart is just so cute. Lori has a special talent in designing these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are lovely and the globe fabric is perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.