Friday 17 April 2015

Story Collection Blog Hop

Carrie Bloomston got in touch with me a few months back.  She was contacting bloggers that she had worked with before and and needed quilts, garments, accessories- anything we fancied, making for her new fabric collection, 'Story'.  In the spirit of the collection, we were to tell our story with the fabrics.


It is such joyful, painterly collection with colour and snippets running through every print.  I love the palette with its hot and cool mix.  With posting from UK to USA the deadline was tight; my story was going to be a novella rather than 'War and Peace.  I opted for a tried and trusted skirt pattern that I had made before, an adaptation of Ivanne Soufflet's Opale Maxi skirt from Grains de Couture Homme et Femmes.  All my usual modifications to this are here


My sewing story started with making clothes.  I made clothes for my toys as a child, clothes for myself in my teens and clothes for my daughter as well as myself now.   


I chose a woven effect print for the main fabric and used it with the selvedge at the hem of the skirt to create an organic border effect.  A light newsprint was used for the pocket yoke and a red print for the pocket binding and  shaped waistband- a total of three different fabrics.


All photos were taken by Jill McNamara Photography.  My skirt along with all the other makes, travels on to Quilt Market in Minneapolis! 

There is huge variety in all the amazing makes from children's toys to more clothing and gorgeous quilts and a background narrative to each of them, check out Carrie's intro post for more info and links.  You can see them all and find all patterns and maker details in the look book.
Want to win a big, fat quarter, beautiful bundle of 'Story' and a copy of Carrie's book, 'The Little Spark: 30 Ways to Ignite Your Creativity?'  Head on over to Such Designs to be in with a chance.

sib blog

5 comments:

  1. Love your skirt and your daughter's (guessing she is) dress. Very nice looking fabric line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this skirt and although I have never made clothes, I can't follow a pattern to save my life, I need to own one like it. I quilt because I love to sew and can fudge things to do it my way which is never quite as the as the originator planned, I am sure, :). Thanks for giving me a new goal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful skirt and love your story ~ it's so much like my own!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.